Let’s Make It!
Watch Us Make It!
- First step, that morning or the night before place the bag of John Soules Foods Rotisserie Seasoned Chicken Strips and Filo Pastry out of the freezer and transfer to the refrigerator.
- You want to work with thawed ingredients.
- Filo Pastry needs to be thawed completely throughout to the center before use.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pour out all thawed John Soules Foods Rotisserie Chicken Strips onto a cutting board and chop to very small pieces.
- These have to stuff inside filo pastry, make them small.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and sauté diced onion and carrots, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- In another pot, heat your chicken stock.
- When translucent, start adding flour in small amounts while stirring well so it does not clump.
- As the mixture starts to thicken and turn into a roux, add the hot chicken stock.
- Simmer over low heat for another 2 minutes to thicken more.
- Add frozen peas, parsley, chicken, white wine, and cream
- Mix ingredients well. Simmer for another 1 minute to incorporate the elements.
- Pull from heat before “cooking” the chicken.
- Chicken is already fully cooked, just needs to be brought up to temperature.
- Pastry Glaze:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together your eggs, olive oil, and melted butter.
- Lightly moisten 2 kitchen towels
- Place your full stack of Filo pastry upon one towel.
- Remove 1 sheet of Filo and place on cutting board.
- Cover the unused Filo with the 2nd moist towel so the Filo doesn’t dry and start cracking.
- Quickly paint the Filo with the glaze.
- No need to be perfect just glaze.
- Don’t over soak, lightly paint to moisten, just cover the sheet.
- Lay another sheet directly on top of your first one, repeat with glaze.
- Layer again with a 3rd sheet.
- Layer again with a 4th sheet.
- With a tablespoon, scoop a mound of stuffing and place it in a bottom corner of your filo.
- Repeat in the bottom center, and the remaining bottom corner.
- With your knife make 2 lengthwise slices through your filo leaving 3 long strips with a ball of stuffing at the bottom.
- From a bottom corner, fold a triangle over the stuffing, then keep folding that strip like a flag, triangle over triangle, over triangle.
- Seal any loose bits, give it a quick paint of glaze, place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat for the next two.
- Repeat process, make another stack of 4 sheets of glazed Filo, stuff and fold those too.
- You should have enough stuffing to do this process 4 total times, for a total of 12 pastries.
- Butter a baking sheet, or cover with Parchment Paper.
- Place the pastries to fit on baking sheet. Just before popping them in the oven, give them a final touch up of glaze, then sprinkle some coarse sea salt all over the tops.
- Cook at 375°F for 18-22 minutes.
- Watch them carefully and remove when golden color.
- Serve with a side salad and some wine!