Crispy Southern Style Chicken Gumbo
Southern Style Chicken Tenders
- 24 ounces John Soules Foods Southern Style Chicken, frozen
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped, or 1/2 cup packaged chopped yellow onion
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped, or 1 cup packaged chopped bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cut frozen okra
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 cups cooked white rice
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place chicken in even layer on rimmed baking sheet. Bake, flipping halfway through, until fully heated through, about 12 to 14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant and dark golden-brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in onion, bell pepper and seasoning, and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in broth and bring to a boil. Stir in okra and sausage, and simmer over medium-low heat until fully cooked, about 4 minutes.
- Divide rice between bowls, and top with sausage mixture and cooked chicken. Top with green onions and serve.
Tip: Packaged chopped yellow onions and chopped bell peppers can usually be found in the
produce aisle of your local grocer.
Tip: Substitute kielbasa if andouille sausage is not available!
You May Also Like
Oven Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup